Baby Dinner Recipes
From Our Readers
These baby dinner recipes were sent in by our visitors – browse through these unique and imaginative suggestions and see what other babies are having for dinner!
Please note: The comments with many of these recipes – including the suggested age of introduction – come from the parents who submitted them. Please discuss the introduction of any new foods with your
Recipes on this page…
Healthy Chicken and Rice Dinner
Hawaiian Pork and Rice Dinner
Turkey with Spiced Apple Casserole
Tasty Iron Rich Baby Meal
Creamy Sweet Orzo
Barley and Turkey for Two
Pureed Apple and Pork
Diced Pork with Curried Peach and Onion Sauce
Mini Munchkin Meatloaf
Cracked Wheat with Chicken and Potato
Meatballs with Veggies
Baby’s Beef Dinner
Protein Rich Recipe
Sweet Purple Turkey
Looking for the vegetable/vegetarian recipes?
Baby Dinner Recipes – Healthy Chicken and Rice Dinner
From Noman in Pakistan
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 medium sized sweet apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 teaspoon raisins soaked in warm water (optional)
1. Steam diced apple with 1/4 cup water until tender. Drain and keep aside.
2. Puree boiled brown rice, steamed apple, raisins with yogurt in a blender. Refrigerate.
3. Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Hawaiian Pork and Rice Dinner
From Sara in the United States
For 10 months or older
1/4 cup ground pork
2 cups water
1/4 cup rice, uncooked
1/2 cup peaches, peeled and sliced (fresh preferred)
1/4 cup pineapple chunks
1. Bring pork and 1 cup of the water to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes.
2. Drain, refrigerating reserved liquid.
3. Add rice, remaining 1 cup water, peaches and pineapple to meat. Simmer 15 minutes.
4. Remove any grease from reserved liquid and return juices to pot.
5. Continue to cook mixture for another 5 minutes. Mash or puree before serving.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Turkey with Spiced Apple Casserole
From Jeneen in the United States
1/2 lb. Ground Turkey
2 medium apples, diced in 1/2″ cubes (peeled if not organic apples or if serving to an infant)
2 cups cooked whole wheat spaghetti or brown rice
Trader Joes Everyday Seasoning (or other no-salt seasoning blend)
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon, or to taste
1/4 tsp. Ginger, or to taste
1/4 – 1/2 cup apple juice or breastmilk
1. Add the ground turkey to a large non-stick stovetop pot, along with the Everyday Seasoning.
2. Saute the ground turkey on medium to medium-high heat, stirring to incorporate the spices into the meat. Cook until meat is done all the way through (about 15 minutes).
3. Remove the turkey from the pot and reserve in a mixing bowl.
4. Return the pot to the stove and lower the heat to medium.
5. Add the diced apples, cinnamon and ginger. Saute until the apples are soft, then add to turkey.
6. If using noodles, chop up the spaghetti into manageable bite-size pieces and add to the turkey and apples. Or else add the brown rice to the turkey and apples.
7. Mix everything together using apple juice or breastmilk to desired consistency.
8. If serving to an infant, run the mixture through a food mill or food processor.
9. Baby’s meal is ready and the leftovers will freeze beautifully for several months in an airtight container. For adults, skip the liquids and serve the turkey and apples over the grains or mix all together and stuff a yellow bell pepper, add feta to top and brown in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Turkey Macaroni
From Shelly in Canada
1 lb ground turkey meat
1/2 can diced tomatoes with juice
2 cups cooked whole wheat macaroni
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup whole milk mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup whole milk cottage cheese
pepper to taste
1. Cook macaroni according to package.
2. Brown ground turkey and add garlic and pepper. Let cook a few minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and macaroni, turn off heat.
4. Add mozzarella cheese and cottage cheese.
5. Whip in blender if you require pureed. I left part of the noodles whole as my little one is starting with more solid food.
This was really tasty – all it needed for an adult was a little salt.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Tasty Iron Rich Baby Meal
Sophie Pennington-Ridge in the United Kingdom
1 tbsp olive oil
50g (just under 2 oz / 1/4 cup) onion, peeled and chopped
125g (just over 4 oz / 1/2 cup) minced beef
125g (just over 4 oz / 1/2 cup) chicken liver, cut into pieces
250g (just over 8 oz / 1 cup) pumpkin, swede or butternut squash, chopped
2 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
250ml (just over 8 fl oz / 1 cup) unsalted chicken stock
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and saute the onion for a few minutes until soft.
2. Add the minced beef and chicken liver and saute, until the meat is brown all over, stir occasionally.
3. Add the pumpkin (or whichever veg you chose) and tomatoes and pour over stock. Bring to boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Blend/puree to desired consistency. Enjoy!!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Chicken/Lamb Patties
100g (around 4 oz or 1/2 cup) chicken or lamb mince
1/2 grated zucchini (courgette)
1/2 grated carrot
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
1 egg yolk
1. Mix the mince, zucchini, carrot, parsley and garlic together.
2. Add the egg yolk and about a tablespoon of wheat germ.
3. Make up a small ball of the mince mixture and flatten into a patty.
4. Coat in wheat germ and lightly fry in some vegetable oil.
5. Cut up into finger food sizes when serving. Can be frozen for later!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Creamy Sweet Orzo
From Namrata in the United States
1/4 cup (2 oz) orzo
3 cups (24 fl oz) organic chicken broth
1/2 cup (4 oz) sweet potato puree
Dash of black pepper
1/4 tsp dried basil (or herb of your choice)
1. Bring the broth to boil in a medium saucepan.
2. Add the orzo, reduce heat to medium high and cook stirring occasionally until al dente.
3. Stir in sweet potato puree, pepper and basil. Cook till orzo is well done.
4. Set aside to cool. This also gives time for the individual pasta ‘grains’ to absorb any remaining liquid.
5. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm garnished with freshly grated Parmesan if desired for your toddler.
Makes a great side dish for adults and is perfect for babies under 12 mths when briefly pulsed in a processor or chopper.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Barley and Turkey for Two
From Nancy in the US
2 cups (16 fl oz) boiling water
1 cup (8 oz) quick-cooking pearl barley
1 cup (8 oz) diced, cooked turkey meat
1/2 cup (4 oz) diced, cooked broccoli
1/2 cup (4 oz) plain yogurt
2 teaspoons favorite no-salt herb seasoning blend (or to taste)
1. Boil 2 cups water in saucepan and add barley.
2. Stir, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until barley is soft.
3. Remove pan from heat and let sit 5 minutes.
4. Add to saucepan: turkey, broccoli, yogurt, and seasoning blend. Mix well.
5. Remove 1 cup of mixture from saucepan for serving(s) for adult(s).
6. If desired for smooth texture of child’s portions,whirl remaining mixture in blender or mash well with fork.
7. Divide remaining child’s mixture in 4 ounce portions.
8. Store child’s portions in covered containers in refrigerator.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Pureed Apple and Pork
From Gretchen in Canada
4 oz (1/2 cup) pork, trimmed to remove fat
4 oz (1/2 cup) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 oz (1/2 cup) rutabaga (swede), peeled and diced
1 tbsp chopped onion
1/2 small apple, peeled, cored and diced
pinch dried sage
1. Dice the pork, then combine it with all the other ingredients in a small pot. Just cover with water.
2. Simmer for about 10-15 mins, until everything is cooked.
3. Puree, or just mash it if your baby is chewing little lumps.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Diced Pork with Curried Peach and Onion Sauce
From Una in the United States
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 boneless pork chops (about 1/2 lb.)
1/2 cup (4 oz) canned peaches, chopped (with a little syrup)
1 Tbsp curry powder (sweet)
1/2 onion, chopped
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan over medium heat,fry pork chops about 6-7 minutes each side or until cooked through (depends a lot on how hot your stove is).
2. Remove chops to cutting board.
3. Add remaining oil to pan, bloom curry in oil (add curry to hot oil and cook 30 sec or so).
4. Add chopped onion and cook about 5-7 minutes, or until softened.
5. Add chopped peaches and cook until sauce is hot through (about 2 minutes).
6. Dice pork into baby-sized pieces (about 1/4 inch cubes).
7. Pour sauce over pork, mix and cool to just above room temperature.
Adults can enjoy the same dish but with whole chops. The chops for grown-ups can be salted before frying.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Mini Munchkin Meatloaf
From Maureen in the USA
1 pound ground beef (I use 80/20)
1 cup (2 oz) bread crumbs
3/4 cup (6 fl oz) milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Note from editor: We recommend avoiding salt in the diet of young babies, so you may prefer to omit the salt from this recipe.
1. Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
2. Mix all ingredients in bowl by hand.
3. Divide meat into 6 mini portions and place in muffin tin.
4. Bake for 30 minutes
5. When meatloaves have cooled, pop them out of muffin tins and place in separate freezer bags.
6. Perfect little portion for 6 meals!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Stew Akni
From Farieda in South Africa
This recipe is suitable for babies from around 8 months.
1 cup cooked white rice
1 piece steak fillet or chicken fillet, cut into cubes
half an onion, sliced finely
1 potato, cut into cubes
half a cup of mixed vegetables
pinch of pepper
1 grated tomato
1. Fry onion in a little butter until soft.
2. Add cubed steak/chicken adding a little water and cook until soft.
3. Once meat is cooked and nice and soft for baby to chew, add potato and cook until almost soft.
4. Add mix vegetables, tomato and pepper. Once that’s cooked through, add cooked rice and steam on low heat for 20-30 mins.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Cracked Wheat with Chicken and Potato
From Ayesha in the US
1 cup of cracked wheat (soak in water about 30 mins)
2 to 3 big pieces of boneless chicken
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (optional)
pinch of salt (unsuitable for younger babies – read more here)
2 cups (16 fl oz) of milk
1 cup (8 fl oz) of water
1 tablespoon of butter
1. Melt the butter in a pan, add garlic and fry for about 30 seconds.
2. Add the water and, when it boils, add the cracked wheat.
3. Next, add the potato and chicken and mix well for about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the milk , black pepper and salt (if using) and leave it on a medium flame for about 15 minutes
5. Finally, stir it thoroughly with the spoon until well mixed and thick, like a puree.
My baby Aayan likes this recipe a lot!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Meatballs with Veggies
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 cup (2 oz) oatmeal (uncooked)
1/2 c (2 oz) finely shredded veggies (carrot, zucchini, or another favorite)
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp applesauce
dash of ground pepper
pinch of oregano
1. Combine all ingredients and form 1 inch meatballs.
2. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
3. After baking these can be frozen and removed as needed from a zip-top bag in your freezer.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Baby Enchiladas
From Karen in Canada
corn tortillas (as many as you want as this recipe is good for all the family)
tomato/spinach pasta sauce (any brand)
one chicken breast
grated mozzarella cheese
1. Cook chicken in boiling water. Remove from water (do not throw away this broth), cool chicken down and pull it with two forks into fine strings.
2. Mix your chicken broth with the pasta sauce to thin it little (please do not make it too runny).
3. Soften the tortillas by warming them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, covered with a paper towel.
4. Stuff each tortilla with the pulled chicken and roll the tortillas (as if making wraps).
5. Set your wraps in a glass or ceramic baking pan, pour on your pasta sauce, add sour cream on top and your grated cheese and grill in the oven.
6. Ready! You can serve these yummy enchiladas with black beans which are high in iron!
To make your canned beans tastier: in a frying pan add some butter and 1/2 onion, finely chopped. Cook until crystal like, add beans, cook on medium heat then mash them. Serve them as a side with your enchiladas. I hope you enjoy them. My baby is 14 months and loves this recipe!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Unstuffed Zuchinni
From Tiffany in Canada
1 cup cooked ground beef
2 cups vegetable or beef broth
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1 clove garlic
1 dash Oregano
For older baby: Shredded Mozzarella and/or cooked orzo
1. Put beef,broth, garlic, & oregano in pot, bring to boil; then reduce heat to medium high & cook 10 minutes.
2. Strain, reserving broth.
3. Add zucchini to beef (the beef will be hot enough to “steam” the zucchini.)
4. For a younger baby, puree, adding reserved broth as needed. Left overs can be frozen. For an older baby, do not puree, & top with shredded mozzarella. Serve as is, or with orzo pasta.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Loaded Egg
From Ruthann in the United States
1 Organic Duck egg
1 oz liver (frozen)
1/8 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp butter
1/8 tsp flax seed, ground
1. Steam or hard boil egg until done.
2. Separate yolk from whites, discard whites.
3. Grate frozen liver into egg.
4. Meanwhile, on medium temperature, melt butter and toast garlic and ground flax seed until garlic begins to give off a slight aroma.
5. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
6. Mix garlic and flax in with liver and eggs. Serve slightly warm to baby.
*This is a recipe that has been handed down through the ages and is a staple (even though some of us adults can’t stand liver haha). Enjoy
Baby Dinner Recipes – Baby’s Beef Dinner
From Stephanie in the United States
8 oz. ground beef
1/2 medium onion
4-5 Tbsp homemade marinara sauce
1 medium zucchini, grated
handful taco flavored shredded cheese
1/2 to 1 cup prepared brown rice
dried parsley, basil, oregano
1. Saute onion lightly in olive oil. Crumble the ground beef into the onions.
2. Sprinkle garlic powder, basil, parsley, and oregano onto the beef.
3. Brown the beef until almost cooked through.
4. Stir in enough marinara until desired wetness.
5. Grate the skins of the zucchini into the pan. (I use the skins first since that’s where most of the vitamins are found.)
6. Stir in rice and cheese. Warm through until cheese melts. This gives me 3 servings for my 16 month old… one for dinner, 2 for the freezer!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Protein Rich Recipe
From Javeria in Pakistan
2 tbsp quick oatmeal
1/2 of medium sized onion, chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
pinch of coriander powder
2 tsp of any kind of pulse (beans, peas, lentils etc)
1/2 tsp olive oil
1. Heat olive oil a little into a pan.
2. Add chopped onion, stir for 30 secs.
3. Add chicken broth, coriander powder and pulse. Cook over a low flame till pulses become completely tender.
4. Now add oatmeal and cook for 5 mins over a low flame. Done!
Now you can blend the mixture when cool. Add salt and black pepper to taste. DD loves it because she doesn’t like sweet tastes. It’s a protein rich meal. I sometimes add cheese to enhance the taste.
From Kelsea in Canada
This recipe makes about twelve 5 oz freeze-able cups.
1 pound ground turkey
2 cups fresh blue berries
1 mango, cored and sliced
2 apples (sweet is best)
3-4 med size beets
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1. Boil apple, mango, and beets until soft (save broth to thin later if necessary).
2. In a pan, cook the turkey in coconut oil at med-high. Add blueberries to pan once turkey is cooked, to warm and soften.
3. Add all to food processor and pulse to desired consistency. If your food processor is too small, pulse in batches and mix in a bowl once done.
I created this for my son yesterday and he loved it!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Thick’n’Hamburg
From Tracy in the United States
6 oz ground beef (low fat)
6 oz potato (cubed)
2 oz peas
2 oz carrots (diced)
1/2 oz minced onion (optional)
1/4 cup water
1. Brown ground beef in a pan on medium heat. Drain excess fat.
2. Add onion (optional). Add enough water to cover the ground beef. Add peas and carrots.
3. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Steam (or boil) potatoes. Mash or puree (with water, milk or formula as desired). Add a pinch of garlic powder.
5. For an older baby: put the beef and veggie mixture over the potatoes.
For a younger baby: puree or mash the beef and veggie mixture and combine it with the potatoes. (Add enough water or formula until it is the desired consistency).
For the rest of the family: add salt and pepper.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Haddock, Carrot and Parsnip Puree
From Mary in Southport, UK
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, cubed
1 parsnip, cubed
8 fl oz (1 cup) low-salt or homemade vegetable stock
200g (around 1 cup) haddock fillet (skinless and boneless, cubed)
1. Heat the olive oil and cook the onion for a few minutes until tender.
2. Add the diced carrot, diced parsnip and the stock and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. Add the haddock cubes and cook until the vegetables are done and the fish is cooked through (it should be flaky).
4. Puree in a food processor until smooth.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Speedy Fish Pie
From Alma in Brighton, UK
4 tbsp boneless white fish, cooked and flaked
4 tbsp cooked, mashed potato
4 tbsp milk, heated
1 tbsp grated Cheddar cheese
Just mash all the ingredients together. If it’s too lumpy for your baby, puree in a blender (you might want to add a bit more milk). I sometimes throw in a few cooked vegetables.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Salmon & Roast Vegetable Bake
From Amina in the United Kingdom
100g (approx 4 oz or 1/2 cup) boneless salmon
1 tsp olive margarine
1 fresh tomato, pureed
lemon juice (12 months+)
1/2 tsp ginger or garlic paste
1/2 mug (approx 4 fl oz) of water
2 to 3 cubes each of butternut squash, sweet potato,broccoli, parsnip, simmered in water for 3-4 minutes
1. Place fish in a non-stick pan on the stove.
2. Add the ginger/garlic, few squirts of lemon juice, margarine, pureed tomato, water and let it simmer until all the water is reduced.
3. Place the fish and juices from the pan into an ovenproof dish.
4. Place simmered vegetables on top of fish.
5. Cover the dish and bake in oven for 30 minutes on gas mark 5 (375 deg F, 190 eg C).
Baby Dinner Recipes – Salmon and Broccoli in a Cheesy Sauce
From Louise in the UK
1 fillet salmon (skinless)
handful of broccoli florets (frozen is ok)
30g (1oz) unsalted butter
1 tbsp plain flour
5 fl oz full fat milk
30g cheddar cheese
1. Cook the salmon in the microwave at full temp for 3-4 mins until its cooked completely all the way through. This time may vary for different models.
2. Steam the broccoli until cooked. This usually takes about 5/6 mins.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook, while stirring for a minute.
4. Take off the heat, whisk in the milk.
5. Put back on the heat and stir continuously until thickened.
6. Blitz the salmon and broccoli in a food processor until it reaches the desired consistency.
7. Pour over the cheese sauce and mix in.
Baby Dinner Recipes – Tilapia and Spinach Rice
From Michelle in the United States
We recommend this recipe for babies of at least one year of age. Michelle has included salt in her recipe, although we do recommend avoiding salt where possible (here’s why).
1/2 fillet tilapia
1/4 cup spinach
2 1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup boiled rice
2 tsp orange juice
1 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp water
Makes 2 servings
1. In a small frying pan, sautee the tilapia in 1/2 tbsp butter over medium high heat.
2. Sprinkle pinch of salt over the fillet.
3. Leave for 1 minute and flip.
4. Allow to sautee for another minute and add orange juice.
5. Add tomato sauce and water.
6. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes.
7. In a frying pan, sautee the baby spinach in 1 tbsp butter on medium heat for about 4 minutes until wilted.
8. Add 1/4 tsp salt. Chop in a chopper and return to frying pan.
9. Reduce heat to medium low. Add boiled rice, rest of the butter and mix well.
10. Combine the tilapia and spinach rice by flaking, grinding or mashing the tilapia as preferred by your baby!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Island Tuna Delight
From Terrie in the United States
We recommend using pineapple canned in its own juice in this recipe.
1 fresh tuna fish steak
1/2 cup canned pineapple, drained
1 teaspoon lemon juice (1 year+)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Brush tuna fish steak with olive oil and grill or broil (high) 10 minutes per side.
2. Peel, core and dice mango.
3. Place grilled tuna fish, lemon juice, mango, and pineapple in blender.
4. Puree until smooth and serve!
Baby Dinner Recipes – Sweet Orangey Salmon
From Amy in the United States
6-8 oz salmon fillet
1 large sweet potato or yam
1 large orange, juiced
1 tblsp fresh dill, finely chopped or 1 tsp dried dill
1 tsp onion powder or 1 tblsp grated fresh onion
1. Peel the sweet potato and chop into even sized chunks (the smaller the quicker it will cook).
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with filtered water.
3. Boil uncovered until the potatoes are tender.
4. Once they are soft, stir in the onion, dill and the orange juice.
5. Add the salmon (no skin or bones) to the top of the potatoes and turn the heat down to med-low. Cover and poach the salmon for 10-15 minutes, or until soft and cooked through.
6. Puree all the ingredients together in the food processor to your babies preferred consistency!
To peel or not to peel?
If most of the nutrients in fruits and veggies are found in the skin, then is peeling
them such a good idea?