Finger Food For Baby
Looking for the perfect finger food for baby? These foods are all healthy, nutritious and ideal for a baby getting to grips with feeding himself!
If any of these foods are new to your baby, it is important to apply the
four day rule as you introduce them.
This will help you identify and prevent potential
food allergies and digestive problems.
Not sure whether or not your baby is ready for finger foods? Then visit the
finger food for baby – guide to getting started
for some useful information and tips, or visit our Baby Led Weaning section if your baby will be feeding himself from the very beginning!
- Cut-up pieces of banana
or soft pear (firmer pears should be cooked – see our
pear baby food
page for more information)
- Melon cubes
- Pieces of avocado (more avocado baby food ideas)
- Sliced kiwi fruit
- Chunks of cooked sweet potato (click here for more sweet potato ideas and recipes)
- Cooked asparagus
- Cut-up green beans
- Small pieces of cooked broccoli
- Cooked carrots, diced
- Cooked beets (beetroot), cut into ‘sticks’ or cubed
Finger food for baby – Other healthy snacks
- Lightly toasted bread or bagels
- Scrambled eggs (yolks are usually fine from 6 months, but speak to your doctor before introducing whole eggs)
- Bite size pieces of cheese
- Pea size pieces of cooked chicken
- Cereals, such as puffed rice or Cheerios
- Pieces of pitta bread, naan or chappati
- Tiny sandwiches, filled with soft cheese or mashed banana
- Fingers of cheese on toast
- Cooked pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
- Tofu cubes (see tofu information and recipes to learn how tofu can benefit your baby)
- Plain rice cakes
- Overcooked brown rice – it’s sticky and will “clump” together
“My First Big Boy Lunch!”
This was Josh’s first real all finger foods lunch. He seemed so proud he could eat by himself.
Thanks for the ideas!
Scot May – Pittsburgh, PA, US
“Mmmmm Cream Cheese!”
My 8 month old Skyla loved her tiny sandwiches with some creamed cheese in them – great suggestion! And doesn’t she look most proud of herself!
Thanks for the ideas!
Tara & Skyla – Narrabeen, NSW Australia
Healthy food, happy baby
Our little 9 month old Maximilian loves to eat his veggies.
I am trying a lot of your recipes for him… he has fun and is enjoying every single one of them, so thank you for those great ideas 🙂
Tanja – Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
Useful links from our site…
Should I peel fruits and vegetables for my baby?
Should fruits and vegetables for baby always be cooked?
When can my baby eat raisins?
Homemade teething biscuits
Can babies eat spicy foods?
Feeding problems – gagging and lumpy foods